Dunnabeck Long Distance Extension Program
Skype Tutoring Program
Long distance Orton-Gillingham tutoring can be offered to Camp Dunnabeck students to bridge the academic year in locations where qualified services may not be readily available. Camp Dunnabeck has a cadre of Orton-Gillingham accredited tutors who can provide remediation via Skype. Working in conjunction with the parents of campers and a school, a tutor can be provided to extend the language-based skills developed at camp to maintain and further progress. All Orton-Gillingham tutors have been trained by a Fellow of the Academy at an accredited training program, and will continue with appropriate supervision specific to their level in the Academy.
For more information, please contact:
Camp Dunnabeck Director Jeremy Robbins
Phone: 845-373-2014 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remedial Tutoring Sessions Include:
- Tutoring sessions will be an hour in duration with breaks as needed.
- It is recommended that sessions be a minimum of two times a week.
- Each session will focus upon the individualized learning profile of the student.
- The sequence of the lesson will move from simple to complex using direct instruction and multi-sensory methods of delivery—auditory, visual, and kinesthetic.
- The design of each lesson will be diagnostic and prescriptive, specific to a student's documented progress.
- The base skills will move from systematic phonics (sound/symbol) to the syllabic and morphemic layer of language (prefixes, roots, and suffixes).
- Consistent review and reinforcement will be incorporated, including cumulative, sequential review as new information is introduced.
- Spelling will be pulled from high frequency non-phonetic words, learned patterns, and from a student's writing.
- Each lesson will include an oral reading component to build fluency, functional grammar and phased Written Expression, as well as focus upon vocabulary and Oral Expressive language.
- Most importantly, the instruction is emotionally sound and builds trust, success, and motivation.
- A cognitive approach, rather than being rote, students learn to think about what is being taught and why.
The fee is set at $120 USD per hour, payable to Camp Dunnabeck. Additional tutoring services in math, academic support, assistive technology, and test preparation are available upon request.