Support Kildonan as we move ONWARD!
Kildonan Services, Inc.
After 50 years of making a positive impact in the lives of students with dyslexia and language-based learning differences, The Kildonan School closed in August of 2019 due to low enrollment and increasing costs to maintain a large campus. Fifty-years of student’s successes also affect positive change in their families, their communities, and our world. As we move forward we are excited to share with you our plans to continue Kildonan’s mission, however, as Kildonan Services, Inc. and continue to transform lives by offering the following services:
Kildonan Teacher Training Institute / KTTI
Following in the footsteps of Kildonan’s Co-founder Diana Hanbury King, Kathleen Stewart will lead the Kildonan Teacher Training Institute (KTTI). Diana desired to make literacy available to all by teaching teachers in the Orton-Gillingham approach.
The Kildonan Teacher Training Institute is fully accredited by the Orton-Gillingham Academy and offers the following services:
- Orton-Gillingham training & practicum supervision
- Comprehensive reading evaluations and standardized testing
- Informal screenings and evaluations
- One-to-One Tutoring
Kildonan @ Marvelwood
Kildonan has teamed up with the Marvelwood School in Kent, Connecticut and Kildonan is now offering one-to-one Orton Gillingham tutoring services to Marvelwood students. The Marvelwood School is a private non-profit school with grades 9 through 12. Like Kildonan, Marvelwood’s small class size, strong core values, respect for diversity, and appreciation for the value of service to others made this a natural partnership.
Instructors trained through the Kildonan Teacher Training Institute are now part of Marvelwood’s Clark Center for Learning Support, employing Orton-Gillingham (OG), an individualized, structured, multi-sensory approach to teaching reading and writing that support students with language-based learning challenges.
Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck
Founded in 1955, Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck is the oldest summer camp program of its kind. Camp Dunnabeck is an academic summer camp for students with dyslexia and language-based learning differences ages 8 thru 16. Soon to be celebrating its 66th year as an in-person camp and now operating on the campus of the Marvelwood School in Kent, Connecticut.
- Camp Dunnabeck balances dedicated language remediation with outstanding recreational activities.
- We pair every camper with an Orton-Gillingham tutor for a one-to-one, one hour Language Training session five days a week.
- Each camper completes tutoring-based assignments in study hall to help reinforce skills taught.
- Campers can choose from a wide array of fun activities and weekend excursions that tap into the natural resources of the campus and the region.
- Now located on the beautiful campus of the Marvelwood School.
When campers return to school in the fall, they discover that they’re rested, relaxed, and ready for success!
Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck 2.1
As a way for Camp Dunnabeck to continue its mission during these uncertain times, an online summer camp Dunnabeck 2.0, was born this past summer. We will continue this online program with Camp Dunnabeck 2.1 this coming summer of 2021.
Dunnabeck 2.1 provides:
- An innovative, immersive, and interactive camp experience.
- Campers create their own avatar to navigate and interact in our virtual campus.
- Fun activities for building new skills, and community events.
- Connecting students with highly skilled professionals trained to help students prevent summer slip.
- Every camper is paired with an Orton-Gillingham tutor for a one hour, one-to-one Language Training session five days a week.
- Campers learn new fun and interactive technologies and make new friends without spatial restrictions.